Oligonucleotide Synthesis Scientist
Location: York UK
Role: Full time, permanent
We are growing and growing fast. Aptamer Group is a leading developer of next-generation molecular tools to enable innovation across the life sciences. We employ a diverse and talented team of high calibre scientists and commercial professionals located at our state-of-the-art development facility in York, UK.
An Oligonucleotide Synthesis Scientist is an integral part of the production team. They will understand the relevant departmental Aptamer Synthesis processes and be able to independently carry out the processes, keeping to agreed deadlines as outlined by the Team Leader.
An Oligonucleotide Synthesis Scientist should be an excellent team player, both within the Synthesis Team and the Laboratory Team as a whole. Good communication skills are vital, as are attention to detail, timekeeping, and a willingness to learn.
- Perform all aspects of Aptamer Synthesis process, as outlined in SOP, relevant to the appropriate department.
- Perform work according to appropriate Work Instruction.
- Planning & organisation of individual workload
- Carrying out team work as instructed by Team Leader or Senior Departmental Scientist.
General laboratory requirements
- Maintaining reagents for processes.
- Maintaining laboratory cleanliness and equipment.
- Ensure compliance with all Quality and Health & Safety processes.
- Work as part of a small process team.
- Communicate well with wider Synthesis Team to ensure smooth running in the laboratories.
Continuous process improvements
- Support a continuous improvement culture within the Synthesis Team.
- Carry out process improvement tasks as instructed by Team Leader or Senior Synthesis Scientist.
- Maintain excellent documentation of laboratory work.
- Prepare and present internal reports.
Required Skills and Expertise
- A PhD in nucleic acid chemistry or organic chemistry. Candidates without a PhD with strong experience in industry will also be considered.
- A strong record of oligonucleotide synthesis, purification, and analysis of oligonucleotides
- Expertise in nucleoside chemistry and chemical modifications of oligonucleotides.
- Proven ability to conduct self-directed research, troubleshooting and work effectively in a dynamic environment with a diverse team.
- Experience in using automated synthesis platforms.
Desirable Skills and Expertise
- Knowledge of aptamer therapeutics, aptamer generation, or aptamer discovery.
- Experience in using LCMS instrumentation and interpreting data.
- Background experience in development, production, and purification of novel phosphoramidites for integration into oligo synthesis workflows
Salary and Benefits
- 25 days annual leave plus bank holidays
- Employer contributions pension scheme
- Gym membership (David Lloyds)
- Private Healthcare
- Free on-site car parking
- Regular team events
- Located in one of the best cities in the UK
Interested? We’d Love to hear from you!
Please apply using the button below, with a copy of your CV and a covering letter.